LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional networking platform.
As an online course creator, it is the perfect platform to attract leads and increase enrollments. As LinkedIn’s user base is estimated to reach 828.43 million users by 2027, it has become a powerful tool for course creators to capture the attention of prospective students and drive conversions.
Whether you are in the starting blocks or have already created a series of successful courses, the question is how to market online courses through LinkedIn Ads.
As the name suggests, LinkedIn ads are paid advertisements shared on LinkedIn. Showcase your expertise with engaging content, use eye-catching visuals, and leverage LinkedIn’s course features.
Highlight the practical value of your course for career advancement, and engage with your audience through posts and discussions to build credibility and attract learners.
In this blog, you’ll walk through different ways and tactics to market your course through LinkedIn Ads.
- Setting Up Your LinkedIn Ads Account
- Identifying Your Target Audience
- Crafting Compelling Ad Content
- Utilizing LinkedIn Ad Formats
- A/B Testing and Optimization
- Leveraging LinkedIn Analytics
- Building Relationships through LinkedIn
1. Setting Up Your LinkedIn Ads Account
Before you promote online courses on LinkedIn Ads, ensure your LinkedIn Ads account is set up. This involves navigating the platform’s features to maximize visibility and engagement for marketing online courses.
Creating a LinkedIn Ads account
To advertise on LinkedIn, you must create an ad account in Campaign Manager.
- Sign in to your personal LinkedIn.com account.
- Click Work at the top of your homepage and select Advertise.
- Add an account name, select the billing currency, and associate a LinkedIn Page on the welcome screen.
- Click Create Account
Defining campaign objectives and goals
Clearly define the campaign objectives and goals you want to achieve through LinkedIn ads marketing. Tailor your LinkedIn Ads strategy to align with educational aspirations, ensuring that each click moves prospective students closer to taking action and enrolling in your courses.
Budgeting and bidding strategies
When you create a LinkedIn ads campaign for your online course, you must set your budget, schedule, and bid, ensuring control over your campaign spending.
To set your budget, schedule, and bid:
Go to the budget and schedule section
Select your campaign setup for new or existing campaigns.
Click on the budget dropdown
Select your preferred budget option (daily, lifetime, or both daily and lifetime) and enter your budget amount.
Set your schedule
Under Schedule, select your preferred campaign schedule option and enter the required dates in the date fields.
Review your optimization goal aligned with your campaign objective.
Review and bid
Campaign Manager automatically selects a bidding strategy that aligns with your campaign objective. Enter your cost cap or bid amount for cost cap or manual bidding strategies.
Identifying Your Target Audience
You can’t leverage the power of LinkedIn ads marketing for your online course if you don’t know your target audience. Ensure you know what kind of people you want your ad to reach.
Utilizing LinkedIn’s targeting options for specific demographics
LinkedIn ads have several targeting options–whether you want to target people based on location, industry, company size, education, job function, or skills. Also, you can exclude audiences with specific attributes that aren’t relevant to you.
LinkedIn’s demographics targeting options have two options: member age and member gender. Member age is only an estimation based on the user’s profile information, while gender is a determination based on what they put in their profile information.
Tailoring your audience based on course content and relevance
Tailor your LinkedIn Ads audience by aligning it with your course content and relevance. Leverage the platform’s targeting capabilities to reach individuals genuinely interested in your online courses to increase engagement and enrollment.
2. Crafting Compelling Ad Content
Craft your ad copy in a way that resonates with your target audience.
Be persuasive and entice them to take an action. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to writing ad copy, but you must follow the best practices, such as:
- Use words that add value
- Use words that trigger a response
- Use targeted keywords
- Include CTAs
- Use social proof, numbers & power phrases
- Optimize copy for mobile
Writing attention-grabbing headlines and ad copy
A typical LinkedIn ad has three main components:
- Headline: For attention-grabbing headlines, use sentences that pack a lot of information into a small space. Focus on the details that matter most and flow easily without too much jargon or overused phrases.
- Ad copy: When writing your ad copy, remember it is the first point of interaction between your brand and prospective students. It can either make them click or ignore your message.
- Call-to-action: Words like “sign up,” “learn more,” and “request a demo” that can drive various actions depending on the ad’s goal are call-to-action buttons.
Remember, a well-crafted ad copy will tap into a prospective student’s mind and create a connection that stands out from all the others.
Incorporating visuals to enhance engagement
Visuals convey information quickly and enhance the appeal of your courses. Use eye-catching images, infographics, and video snippets that resonate with your target audience.
Showcase snippets of course content, testimonials, or captivating graphics to capture attention swiftly and encourage users to explore your offerings, increasing overall ad engagement and click-through rates.
3. Utilizing LinkedIn Ad Formats
Choosing the best LinkedIn format is the next thing to explore when learning how to sell your online course on LinkedIn Ads.
Here are LinkedIn ad formats available to choose from:
- Single Image Ad – Target a specific audience across desktop and mobile.
- Carousel Image Ad – An interactive storytelling ad content type with the option to add a website URL.
- Video Ad – Engage your audience with interactive content directly in their LinkedIn feed across desktop and mobile.
- Text Ad – Add a compelling headline, brief description, and optimal image.
- Dynamic Ad – Ads that automatically personalize according to member data on LinkedIn.
Let’s explore the most suitable ad formats for online course marketing.
Sponsored Content: Promoting courses in users’ feeds
Sponsored messages allow you to engage with your prospects in LinkedIn Messaging, where professional conversations happen.
Sponsored Messaging is now available in Message Ads and Conversation Ads. Leverage Sponsored messages to connect with your audience and drive enrollment for your online courses on LinkedIn.
Sponsored InMail: Sending personalized messages to targeted users
Reach your target audience directly by sending tailored messages that resonate with their professional interests. This direct approach maximizes engagement, offering a personalized touch to promote your online courses.
Display Ads: Increasing visibility through image-based ads
Craft visually appealing creatives that convey the worth of your courses and maximize exposure. Drive engagement and clicks by incorporating compelling visuals into your campaign and attract the right audience on LinkedIn’s professional network.
4. A/B Testing and Optimization
A/B testing compares two versions of a LinkedIn ad to determine which one performs better. Tests occur for a set duration and with a defined audience.
Importance of A/B testing for ad performance
A/B testing allows you to systematically compare different elements of ad campaigns, such as headlines, visuals, or targeting parameters, to identify what resonates best with their audience.
The importance of A/B testing for LinkedIn ad performance includes:
- A/B testing provides empirical data on the performance of different ad variations
- By comparing different versions of ads, A/B testing helps identify elements that contribute to higher conversion rates
- Testing variations allows advertisers to allocate budget efficiently by focusing on elements that yield better results
- A/B testing facilitates quick adaptation to evolving market trends by identifying and implementing successful strategies
Iterative optimization based on critical metrics (click-through rate, conversions)
Iterative optimization is not a one-time effort but a continuous cycle. It involves making minor adjustments to your LinkedIn ads to improve the results.
With the help of this iterative process, you can enhance click-through and conversion rates and provide valuable insights into user preferences, enabling advertisers to refine strategies and maximize the impact of their online course promotions on LinkedIn.
5. Leveraging LinkedIn Analytics
LinkedIn analytics is a powerful tool that allows you to track and assess the performance of your page on LinkedIn. Also, you can access the LinkedIn ad analytics dashboard with the campaign ad account.
Monitoring campaign performance using LinkedIn Analytics
LinkedIn Analytics enables course creators to monitor campaign performance, offering valuable insights into ad reach, engagement, and demographics.
Here’s how you can monitor campaign performance:
- Choose your objective
- Identify your key metrics based on the campaign goal
- Set up conversion tracking and Lead Gen Forms
- Evaluate ad performance
- Optimize with demographic insights
- Optimize with performance insights
Adjusting strategies based on data-driven insights
As an online course creator, you can adjust your LinkedIn strategy by refining the elements and drawing insights from analytics.
Based on these insights, you can easily adjust content, targeting, and ad formats, ensuring a more tailored and appealing approach to the target audience. This iterative process allows course creators to stay agile, continuously improving campaigns for better results.
6. Building Relationships through LinkedIn
As a content creator and entrepreneur, you know how important it is to have strong relationships in your industry. By optimizing your profile, identifying your target audience, engaging with content, building relationships, and providing value, you can build strong relationships on LinkedIn and establish yourself as a thought leader.
Engaging with your target audience in LinkedIn groups
LinkedIn groups provide valuable insights from group discussions that facilitate networking, collaboration, and partnership.
The key benefits of engaging with the target audience in LinkedIn groups as a course creator are:
- It helps you build direct relationships
- Interact with them to understand audience needs
- Answer queries and concerns regarding course content
- Establishes credibility and position you as an authority in your niche
By sharing expertise and resources, course creators can organically promote their offerings within a receptive community, driving awareness and enrollment.
Leveraging personal and company profiles for additional exposure
Regularly sharing compelling content and updates showcases expertise and increases visibility among connections and followers. Engaging with the LinkedIn community through comments and shares amplifies content visibility.
But ensure you interact through both personal and company profiles for additional exposure. Combining personal and company branding establishes a comprehensive online presence, building trust and credibility.
For example, Michael Brook is a leading course expert, coach, and trainer who has established a robust personal profile on LinkedIn to promote the online course platform.
For example, Taye Abidakun, CEO and course creator, has posted this ad through his LinkedIn profile to ensure it reaches the maximum number of prospects. The ad communicates the course name, briefly defines the training content, and has a CTA that leads the user to fill out the form.
LinkedIn ads present a powerful tool to market online courses. By leveraging the platform’s ad campaign manager and professional network, you can precisely target your audience based on their interests, industry, and job roles.
Building relationships and connections on LinkedIn becomes imperative once you create your online course and start marketing. It helps create a community around your course niche, increasing engagement and establishing credibility.
This personalized outreach boosts enrollment rates and ensures your course resonates with individuals seeking valuable and tailored learning experiences.
Now that you understand how to market online courses through LinkedIn Ads, you can create a connection with prospective students and increase enrollments.